Celestron Nexstar+ Hand Control USB, EQ
|Delivery time:||More on the Way to Us|
- NexStar+ Hand Control works with Celestron equatorially mounted computerized telescopes
- Compatible with Advanced VX, CGEM, CGEM II, CGEM DX, CGX, and CGE Pro series telescopes and mounts
- Flash upgradeable via the Internet; latest updates can be found at Celestron.com
- 40,000-object database
- Dual line, 16-character LCD screen with adjustable backlighting.
- Now connects to your PC directly with a mini-USB cable (cable not included) for software updates or optional telescope control with third party software
The Celestron NexStar+ EQ Hand Control is the standard computer accessory on all current equatorially mounted Celestron go-to telescopes: Advanced VX, CGEM, CGEM II, CGEM DX, CGX, & CGE Pro computerized telescopes.
With the push of a button, you can access NexStar+’s huge database of over 40,000 celestial objects. Automatically slew to objects in a variety of catalogs, including the Messier, NGC, Caldwell, and SAO brightest stars. The planets as well as a list of the most popular objects are also included. Not sure what to look at? Use the Tour Mode, and you’ll be shown a selection of the most popular objects for the time and date you are observing!
NexStar Plus includes many setup conveniences like customizable max slew speed, All-Star Polar Alignment, programmable slew limits, and more.
This hand control includes USB Flash Upgradeable Technology, allowing users to upgrade its software with Celestron Firmware Manager. Latest upgrades can be found on the Support Tab.
• All-Star Polar Alignment
• Flash Upgradeable
Although many of the NexStar hand controls (HC) are identical in appearance, they are not universally compatible. Following are the various NexStar hand controls that have been available since the introduction of the original NexStar 5.
- NexStar+ Hand Control - In February 2012, Celestron introduced a new NexStar+ hand control - read this for more details. This hand control is visually identifiable by new labels on some buttons (for example, the bottom left button is now the Celestron symbol) and a "+" next to the NexStar label just below the LCD display. This hand control is compatible with all Celestron computerized mounts except the original NexStar 5/8, the NexStar GT and the Ultima 2000. Three caveats:
- The CGE mount may have experienced intermittent NO RESPONSE errors with the original NexStar+ hand control but Celestron made a change to the NexStar+ hardware in 2017 or 2018 and new NexStar+ hand controls should work well with the CGE.
- As of mid-2012, the NexStar GT models sold through special resellers (Costco NexStar GTs, the Orion StarSeeker - not StarSeeker IV - models and NexStar GTs sold in Japan) have the NexStar 4/5 SE motor control board and are sold with the NexStar+ hand control.
- If you have a NexStar 8/9.25/11 GPS or NexStar 5i/8i and have problems with the NexStar+ hand control, read this.
Note that the correct version of firmware for the type of mount must be loaded into the hand control for correct operation - see the Firmware Version section of this web site for details. The firmware version displayed by this hand control is Version 5. As of February 2012, this hand control is available for purchase separately and ships with all current mounts. Beginning in April 2016, the RJ-22 serial jack on the bottom of this hand control was replaced with a USB port.
- StarSense Hand Control - Introduced with the SkyProdigy series of auto-aligning telescopes in 2011, this hand control is also shipped as part of the StarSense AutoAlign accessory kit. StarSense is not compatible with the original NexStar 5/8, the NexStar 5i/8i, the NexStar GT series (other than some special models made for sale at Costco and in Japan - these models can be identified by their included NexStar+ hand control) nor the NexStar GPS series. See Celestron's website here for more details. Beginning in April 2016, the RJ-22 serial jack on the bottom of this hand control was replaced with a USB port.
- NexStar Version 4 Hand Control - In February 2005, Celestron announced the CPC series, followed shortly thereafter by the SE and SLT series, all of which included this user-upgradeable hand control. From February 2005 through February 2012, all mounts shipped with this hand control. Note that the correct version of firmware for each specific mount must be loaded into the hand control for correct operation - see the Firmware Version section of this web site for details. The firmware version displayed by this hand control is Version 4. As of January 2006, this hand control was available for purchase separately (read this), but has been replaced by the NexStar+ and is no longer manufactured. This hand control is compatible with the following mounts:
- CPC Series
- CPC Deluxe HD Series
- NexStar SE Series
- NexStar SLT Series
- Astro Fi Series
- LCM Series
- NexStar GPS Series
- NexStar 5i/8i
- NexStar GT Series
- CGX and CGX-L Series
- CGEM Series
- CGE Pro Series
- CGE Series
- AS-GT Series (Advanced Series with GoTo)
- NexStar GT Hand Control - this hand control has been sold with several different versions of firmware (see the Firmware Versions section of this web site for more info). This hand control is only compatible with the NexStar GT, Celestron StarSeeker and Tasco StarGuide telescopes (any model of optical tube). At one time, this hand control was offered for sale separately as Celestron part number 93961. Note that the NexStar Version 4 hand control (above) can also be used with the NexStar GT mount.
- NexStar GPS and "i" Series Hand Control - Versions 1.2 and 1.6 are only compatible with the NexStar 8/9.25/11 GPS scopes. Version 2.2 is compatible with the NexStar 8/9.25/11 GPS and NexStar 5i/8i - at one time this hand control was offered for sale separately as Celestron part number 93962 and was also known as the "iComp" hand control. Version 2.3 is compatible with the NexStar 8/9.25/11 GPS and NexStar 5i/8i/8i Special Edition. Note that all of these mounts are also compatible with the NexStar+ and NexStar Version 4 hand controls (above).
- Advanced Series with GoTo (AS-GT) - Versions 3.03 and 3.04 were the original versions shipped with the AS-GT and are only compatible with the AS-GT mount.. Note that the AS-GT mount is also compatible with the NexStar+ and NexStar Version 4 hand controls (above) and more recently shipped with either of those hand controls.
- CGE Hand Control - Version 3.01 is the original version shipped with the CGE and is only compatible with the CGE mount. Note that the CGE mount is also compatible with the NexStar+ and NexStar Version 4 hand controls (above) and towards the end of its run, shipped with the Version 4 hand control.
- NexStar 5/8 Hand Control - The original NexStar hand control, it is only compatible with these two scopes (the original NexStar 5/8 with no AUX or AUTO GUIDE ports on the top of the base).